Master's Degree Program

St. John's Logo

St. John’s University is the university partner for the NYC Teaching Collaborative. Established in 1908, the St. John’s University School of Education was the second school in New York State to award graduate degrees to teachers. 

The School of Education has four major goals, consistent with the mission and distinctive purposes of St. John's University: to foster a culture of academic excellence and commitment to moral values; to provide for the professional development of faculty and students; to support and encourage excellence in teaching and scholarly research; and to serve as a partner and resource to the larger educational community.

What degree will I earn?

Partner Teachers earn a Master of Science in Adolescent Education with a concentration in the subject area in which they will be certified to teach - either math, science, English, social studies, or special education at the secondary level (grades 7-12).

Do I need to take any entrance exams?

All Partner Teachers will be required to take the GRE and provide a score prior to enrolling at St. John's University.

What is the course-load during my training and teaching experience?

Partner Teachers will likely take one course during the spring semester, 2-3 courses (6-9 credits) in their first summer, 1-2 courses (3-6 credits) each semester of their first year, 2-3 courses (6-9 credits) in their second summer and 1-2 courses (3-6 credits) each semester of their second year.

How long will the degree take to complete?

The master’s degree takes two to three years to complete; the duration varies depending on a Partner Teacher's subject area and previous coursework. Partner Teachers will begin coursework at the beginning of training in January of 2017. 

How much will my master's degree cost?

The NYC Department of Education subsidizes most of the cost of university tuition (excluding books and materials). For the 2017 program, Partner Teachers are responsible for contributing $8,600 towards their degree. This amount will be deducted from the Partner Teacher's regular paycheck once they begin teaching, so Partner Teachers do not have to take out student loans or write up-front checks for their master’s degree.

Credits required for your content area can be taken at St. John's University while working on your master’s degree. In some cases, Partner Teachers will need to take additional liberal arts or content area credits to meet state requirements, and can be taken at the college of your choice. You will be responsible for those costs. Deficiencies are determined by SJU at the time of matriculation and cannot be evaluated beforehand.

How does master's coursework relate to certification?

After successful completion of their residency experiences, Partner Teachers will begin teaching under a Transitional B certificate issued by New York State, allowing them to teach full-time while enrolled in the master’s degree program. Upon completion of the master's degree, Partner Teachers may apply for Initial or Professional NY State teaching certification.